Monday, December 20, 2010

Be Yourself, Everyone Else is Taken

The Charlie Schulz Philosophy


The following is the philosophy of Charles Schulz , the  creator of the 'Peanuts' comic strip.
You don't have to actually answer the questions Just ponder on them.

 1. Name the five wealthiest people in the  world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America pageant.
4  Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners.

How did you do?

The point is,  none of us remember the headliners of yesterday.
These are no second-rate achievers.
They are the best in their fields.
But the applause dies..
Awards tarnish..
Achievements are forgotten.
Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.

Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one:
1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with..

Easier?
The lesson:
The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials , the most money...or the most awards.

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in New Zealand !'


My cousin sent me the above, and seeing I've been pretty slack with my posts lately, I thought I'd pass it on. I didn't know the answer to any of these. Dumb me.

Here's the deal.

Why, as a society, do we feel that trophies, plaques, keys, crowns, accolades are necessary. You figure it out. I went to a little league awards dinner for my grandson. Every kid their got a trophy. Why?

Our high school gave a trophy for the best athlete...male and female. Never figured out who did the selecting but nobody ever even thought about getting a trophy. When I swam, we got medals for getting wet. Go figure.

 You don't see any awards going for kids in war zones that survive day after day and still find the time to play soccer with a ball made of rolled up rags. Do 'em a favor...send 'em a ball for Christmas.

I go to a music festival in W Va every year...Clifftop. It's billed as an Old Time String Band Festival. It was originally a contest to determine who is the best..fiddler, band, banjo player, flat foot dancer, etc. They awarded 5 prizes. Everyone made a big joke out of finishing 6th at Clifftop.  I think I finally figured out there are those who come to compete, and those who come to play. Those who play have all the fun, those who compete, worry a lot about winning. What would happen if they did away with the contests? I don't think I  would affect the festival on little bit. People would come to play music with each other for the fun of it all.

I can't eat a trophy anymore than I can play one. I usually do what I do because I enjoy doing it, not for the rewards. I always worked  at something when I become financially embarrassed...which was a lot. The experiences i had learning to do something for the first time were great! Ever tried shoeing a horse? It can be done, hard on the back, and fraught with danger.  Fortunately, I have jobs I like to do now.

 My philosophy on failing is that it ain't all it's cracked up to be. A 50% on a Math test means you knew half of it. The other half, someone else will know, if you are in need of that half.


Sometimes Christmas can be a pain, but make it a fun pain this year, at least 50% of it. Someone else will have the other 50% to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of Immigration and De=mocratization

I will agree that things have gotten out of hand on the Southern Border with Mexico. Policies change with administrations, as if there was e...