Sunday, April 28, 2019

Been Awhile

Well, it's been Jan. 2018 since I wrote a blog post. Blogs have changed. Seems to me the platform has given over to political rants, self promotion, and monetizing opinion writings

I could go there, but chose to bite my tongue and discover my true religion and politics on the tractor doing something constructive. Writing my story in snapshots was why I started this journey some 8 or 9  years ago.

I was hoping the experience would allow me to remember, a preserve, some of my life experiences, and in the process, see if writing would bring back something about punctuation, sentence structure, or paragraph control. That didn't work out so well, but that's no reason to stop writing. I'm too lazy, and unconcerned to be relearn what I really never learned in the first place, even if my 100 year old mother is STILL and English teacher.

I consider this blogspot a place  to share who I am, where I've been, what I've done in 77 years, and how the aging process is affecting this poor over worked beat up body. After all, I'm doing this for me and mine. The process of writing clear my head of flotsum and jetsum, opening up some wrinkles to learn some new stuff, like a song, tune, or how to put a cab on a 52 Chevy truck chassis.

So:

My wife tells us sissy old men when we get together. "You got 15 minutes to talk about your maladies, operations, aches and pains and damaged pyches...and we women don't want to hear it after that."

Here's my 15 minutes.

I've had two shoulder replacements, one in March of 2018, and one in Jan of this year, 2019. Two basil cells cut out,(war wounds from years of lifeguarding and tractor driving with no shirt, who knew?)

My musical self has made progress with the help of Tommy and Mary Jordan. We have a "how to" publication called Old time for New Players. It basically a beginner's primer on old time music. It has surprised us with it' s success. I've been teaching at Allegheny Echoes music camp in Marlinton WV for about 12 years now, and always look forward to the experience of seeing old picking buddies from my WV life and meeting new recruits to the old time music fold. mo music, mo fun! A very nice A4 1917 Gibson Mandolin and a  Morris Rowell retro 62 Silvertone guitar, and a Haroll Blevins cherry and spruce guitar of my dreams. I've had the opportunity to play music most every Mon and Thurs a sessions at friend's houses who are brave enough to host us every week for the past year.

I've torn down the 8 foot deer fence around the garden so I can't plant one anymore. I can't handle the rototiller or hoe the way I did. I have friends who raise way more than they need and are willing to share. I cut garlic production in half. This is probably the last year I'll plant. I planted some 20,000 cloves this year. and when it's gone it's over...well, maybe some for friends and family.

I sold my prized 1955 1st series Chevy pickup to brother Bob on the promise he wouldn't hot rod it. He's kept his promise. We also have acquired a new project. A rolling chassis of a 51 chevy truck, new motor etc. I found a cab, and a front clip to rebuild it. Might take 3 or 4 years...something to do.

So, lessons of old age are beginning to sink in. Not that I'm old, just well worn. Most of the damage of my own doing...and I'm having to re-invent with the help of friends and especially my wife Janice Faye. I taking a while for it to sink in, but she speaks truth.We both have been out of the pottery shop for a year or more. Reason? Everything one does with clay is heavy and we are "wore out with it." So, we're aging, kicking and screaming

I figured I owed you guys an apology for my absence from the Mundane staff of one. More on the new adventures in "old age" await. Let's go see what I can't do anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

  It Ain’t About Red or Blue , but We, the People. Remember this quote: "There are no winners or losers in war...only who's left...